Friday, July 08, 2005

War of the Worlds


Steven Spielberg directs
War of the Worlds, so you know it's going to be a "big" movie. Aliens begin an assault on the entire planet, so you know the scale of the story is going to be far reaching. But Tom Cruise plays a single, part-time dad who just wants to keep his kids alive, so a touch of humanity survives in the grandeur, scope, and ego involved in this film.

War of the Worlds gets to the good stuff right away, and is relentless from that point onward. As the main characters go from confusion, to fear and confusion, to just fear, the viewer goes along for the ride.

War of the Worlds is not the best alien movie ever (there is far to much at stake for Cruise as an actor to ever let the MOVIE be the real star) but it is well produced, with great visual effects. I wouldn't expect much more than an Alien Invasion film from this one, and that's what I got.

I give War of the Worlds 3/5 (how would YOU rate War of the Worlds?)

Starring: Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning, Tim Robbins, ...more


*to submit a review to mr.Jake's film review just email it to me and it should appear shortly*

4 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger Jake-M said...

Why, I think I agree with you.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Yeah - 3/5 pushing a 4.

I loved the utter horror of the alien enduced apocalypse - it was absolutely spell binding!

Most people feel let down by the ending but that is because the original story wasn't written for Hollywood.

Salvaltion comes from the most unexpected source!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Linda Hope said...

i would give it a 4 1/2...i loved it! I also loved the ending: the reason given for the alien's ultimate demise. SO GENIUS.

i guess i would have known that, had i read the book prior, but it was a great theory, and therefore, makes me feel safe from future alien invasions...

haha!!

Ciao

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Jon L said...

I would give the movie up until the last 5 min a 4 1/2, but after that cheap ending that left me feeling ripped off.... 2 1/2 /5...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home